Saturday, February 23, 2013

Homemade Face Masks !!

Ok. So. Homemade face masks are my lastest endeavor and I'm more than a little excited about it.

This is how it came about: A week or so ago I had a wicked bad reaction to an antiaging night cream I tried and I needed something to help my skin. I'm sure most people could use this night cream with no problem at all, but I have super sensitive skin. And it was bad. Red, scaly, dry, itchy, painful, AWFUL. I had to layer on the foundation to make myself look semi-normal for work, but you could still see the dry flakiness. When you have a reaction like this, it can be injurious to layer more product onto your skin in it's compromised state, but I knew I needed SOMETHING. And I was broke. I was going to have to work with what I had on hand at home.

So I concocted my first ever homemade face mask: a soothing vegan oat mask !! Here's the recipe, along with the function of each ingredient.




1/4 cup old fashioned oats - soothing, gentle exfoliant.
1/4 cup soy milk - soothing.
1/2 a small banana - moisturizing.
1 tsp honey - soothing, moisturizing, natural antibacterial.


I tossed the ingredients in my Magic Bullet and blended until they were well combined.








Then I washed my face with The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser, a gentle, soap-free lotion cleanser for sensitive skin that I absolutely adore. 




Next, I smoothed the mixture onto my face, concentrating on the most irritated areas and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

It only looks a little bit like baby vomit. 

After rinsing off the mask and drying my face, I finished with a spritz of LUSH Eau Roma Toner Water and some The Body Shop Aloe Soothing Night Cream. I swear that when I woke up the next morning, my skin was almost back to normal.



Today I did another oat mask (see lovely photo above) because my face has been a little irritated from winter wind burn. I can't believe how soft and comfortable it made my skin. The best thing about this mask is it's simplicity. It only contains 4 natural ingredients, so there is nothing in it that could further irritate your skin. Plus, it's so inexpensive to make !!

Now that my oat mask was such a success, I'm busy brainstorming some new homemade face mask recipes. I even have a pinterest board for ingredient ideas because I am a gigantic nerdy loser.

I'll let you guys know as soon as my next homemade face mask comes into being !!
 

1 comment: